17 November 2010

cuando sea grande...


When I was a little girl, I was infatuated with the idea of becoming a ballet dancer. My mother owned a small jewelry box with a tiny porcelain ballerina. A magnet would allow her to dance on a mirrored platform, to an enchanting melody, when one opened the box.  Every time I hear that melody,  I transform into a fictional ballerina. . .in my head.


This morning, I came across David Eustace's small film, The Little Ballerina.  The dancer in the film is Tomomi Sato, currently a principal dancer for the Scottish Ballet Company. What is incredibly fascinating to me is that David Eustace use to be a prison guard in Scotland’s HMP Barlinnie prison and served at the HM Royal Navy prior to becoming a photographer. . . I wonder what he wanted to be when he was a little boy.
Photographs borrowed from David Eustace's website.


No comments: